PVAHA will conduct its Player Development Camp, the first step in earning a National Camp selection, on March 17–19, 2023 at the MedStar Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Virginia. Players born in 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006 are eligible to tryout.
PVAHA PDC Consists of Two Phases:
Phase One – Friday Night:
- Preliminary tryout for Main Camp - required for:
- Players rostered on Tier-II teams nominated by hockey directors (invite only)
- Players rostered on teams outside the Affiliate, other than Tier-I teams
- Players selected in Phase One will be notified Friday night and sent a registration link for Main Camp
Phase Two - Main Camp (Saturday and Sunday):
- Includes players selected from Phase One and players rostered on Tier-I teams
- 40-player maximum for each birth year
“Tier-I” means a team with a valid USA Hockey 1T roster sanctioned as Tier-I.
Nomination and Registration will begin February 1, 2023.
- Players rostered on Tier-I teams inside the Affiliate must register for Main Camp by February 18, 2023. You will receive an email invitation to register from your hockey directors.
- Players rostered on Tier-I teams outside the Affiliate must register for Main Camp by MARCH 1, 2023. All such players must contact PVAHA at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a registration link after February 1st. Please provide the name of your current team and contact information for your current coach.
- Players rostered on Tier-II teams can be nominated by their hockey directors beginning February 1st. A Phase One registration link will be sent to players who have been nominated by their hockey directors, registration begins February 20th. Players on Tier-II teams must register for Phase One by MARCH 10, 2023. You will receive an additional registration link if you advance to Main Camp.
- All other players rostered on teams outside the Affiliate must contact PVAHA to request a registration link and must register for Phase One by MARCH 10, 2023. All such interested players should email PVAHA at email@example.com beginning February 1st to request a registration link. Please provide the name of your current team and contact information for your current coach. You will receive an additional registration link if you advance to Main Camp.
- REGISTRATION DEADLINES ARE FIRM – IF YOU DO NOT TIMELY REGISTER BY THE ABOVE DEADLINES YOU CANNOT PARTICIPATE. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. Advanced registration is required because: (1) participation space in PDC is limited; (2) the number of registrants in one group impacts space available for others; and (3) we need time to make sure all participants are properly registered in the USA Hockey portal. We cannot make exceptions for players who do not register on time.
THERE IS NO WALK-UP OR DAY-OF REGISTRATION AT PDC. Please note and abide by all registration deadlines. We do not want to turn players away but have no choice if you are not properly registered.
CHANGES FOR 2023 PVAHA PDC:
- ALL PLAYERS wishing to be considered for advancement to the SE District PDC MUST participate in PVAHA’s PDC.
- PVAHA no longer issues “byes” to SE District Camp, regardless of circumstances. Please plan ahead if you play outside the Affiliate. No exceptions.
- Note that USA Hockey will move players from the 2006 and 2007 birth years who were selected to the USA Hockey National Camp last year directly to SE District Camp. If you believe this applies to you, and have not received your invitation, please contact USA Hockey. That is not a PVAHA process. Making the Select-14 Camp in 2022 does not qualify for an automatic placement in 2023 SE District Camp.
- Requests to be excused from PVAHA PDC in favor of other hockey events will not be considered.
- All tryout games will be supervised by certified on-ice officials
- Players participating in Phase Two will received PVAHA branded apparel
EVALUATION AND SELECTION:
Players participating in PVAHA PDC will be evaluated by representatives from USA Hockey, Junior, and NCAA coaches, in addition to local coach evaluators.
- Main Camp consists of 2 full-ice scrimmages for each birth year
- Main Camp Goalies participate in a goalie-only session as part of their evaluation (shooters are not evaluated during this session)
- The combination of outside and local coaches is designed to provide balance to the evaluation process by including a local player’s body of work in the evaluation process.
- Players will be ranked for each session by the evaluation team. The top-ranked players on aggregate will advance to the Southeast District PDC. The number of players advancing to the SE District PDC varies by birthyear.
There is no cost for Phase One (Friday Night)
Phase Two (Main Camp) cost is $150. Payment is due at registration.
Why has the cost of PDC increased?
- Certified officials will now officiate all PDC games
- Updated registration and evaluation software
- Increased ice costs
- PVAHA branded PDC apparel provided for all Main Camp participants
PHASE ONE (All sessions at the MedStar IcePlex in Arlington, VA):
2009’s Friday, March 17 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM – Arlington Rink
2008’s Friday, March 17 6:10 PM to 7:10 PM – Arlington Rink
2007’s Friday, March 17 7:20 PM to 8:20 PM – Arlington Rink
2006’s Friday, March 17 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM – Arlington Rink
NOTE: There is no Goalie Session in Phase One.
PHASE TWO (All sessions at the MedStar IcePlex in Arlington, VA):
Goalies (ALL) Saturday, March 18 8:50am – 9:50am – Capitals Rink
2009’s Saturday, March 18 2:40 PM to 3:40PM – Arlington Rink
Sunday, March 19 8:00AM to 9:00AM – Capitals Rink
2008’s Saturday, March 18 3:50 PM to 4:50PM – Arlington Rink
Sunday, March 19 9:10AM to 10:10AM – Capitals Rink
2007’s Saturday, March 18 5:00 PM to 6:00PM – Arlington Rink
Sunday, March 19 10:20AM to 11:20AM – Capitals Rink
2006’s Saturday, March 18 6:10 PM to 7:10PM – Arlington Rink
Sunday, March 19 11:30AM to 12:30PM – Capitals Rink
*Goalies must attend the Goalie session and each session for their BY.
*Schedule is subject to change.
FULL CAMP SCHEDULE (All sessions at the MedStar IcePlex in Arlington, VA):
Friday, March 17 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM – Arlington Rink 2009
Friday, March 17 6:10 PM to 7:10 PM – Arlington Rink 2008
Friday, March 17 7:20 PM to 8:20 PM – Arlington Rink 2007
Friday, March 17 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM – Arlington Rink 2006
Saturday, March 18 8:50am – 9:50am – Capitals Rink Goalies (All)
Saturday, March 18 2:40 PM to 3:40PM – Arlington Rink 2009
Saturday, March 18 3:50 PM to 4:50PM – Arlington Rink 2008
Saturday, March 18 5:00 PM to 6:00PM – Arlington Rink 2007
Saturday, March 18 6:10 PM to 7:10PM – Arlington Rink 2006
Sunday, March 19 8:00AM to 9:00AM – Capitals Rink 2009
Sunday, March 19 9:10AM to 10:10AM – Capitals Rink 2008
Sunday, March 19 10:20AM to 11:20AM – Capitals Rink 2007
Sunday, March 19 11:30AM to 12:30PM – Capitals Rink 2006
SE District Camp: May 19-21, Nashville, TN
SE District Select-14 Camp (2009 BY): July 16-21 at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH